Friday, April 22, 2011

Colour portrait

One of the two week long assignments for drawing this semester was a large scale self portrait. though it wasn't required the class had the option of drawing oneself without looking in the mirror at all. I utilized this to the fullest in half of the thumbnail drawing (done with oil pastels) as I drew one portait of myself (without looking in the mirror) facing another portait of myself (drawn while looking in the mirror). Apparently I don't know what I look like though because the portrait drawn from memory looks like a potato headed muppet.
(without mirror on the left)

For the large scale portrait I went back to the drawing board (..literally--hardy harr har). This time I depicted my self in bed in a cave (with chalk pastels); which I suppose at the time represented my lethargic attitude- spending too much time in my room sleeping or connected to headphones, trapped in a lazy stupor and severely separated from the outside environment.
As far as the method of drawing myself goes, I used a mirror, but very sparingly. This resulted in somewhat of a likeness of myself with some oddly exaggerated features.

No comments:

Post a Comment