Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mosaics

Lately I've been spending a lot of time working on an intense group project for my 3d class. Its because of this that I have been slacking on my reading of The Iliad in my English class. This class is setup in a way so that the lectures transcend group discussions based on questions about the reading. One can see where I'm going with this classic high school type scenario--I was called upon to answer a question about Odyssius. Luckily I have seen the movie the Odyssey (when i was 7), so I was able to concoct a convoluted half mumbled half rambled answer based on that.
I was woried after though, because I remembered from Latin Class in high school (this all could have been avoided if I had gotten higher grades in Latin--I would be much more familiar with the story. In fact my Latin class may or may not have translated the entire story--I wouldn't know because I never participated or did homework)...that Ulysses was the captain from the Odyssey. I was convinced that my professor didn't correct me because he wanted me to look foolish.
After a trip to wikipedea though, I was reminded that Ulysses is meerly the Latin name for Odyssius.
So basically what i learned from the Mosaics lecture is that Latin class does in fact help you later in life (or at least it could if you pay attention).

No comments:

Post a Comment